Keywords are important assets when it comes to blogging because help in improving the reach of your blogs to more and more audiences. However, using the keyword is not as simple as it looks and there are whole other technicalities behind it. Today we will discuss how you can improvise your keyword research and use them for your benefit.
This guide is best for beginners and will help you to reach more people in less time.
Before we jump directly to how you can research keywords and use them for your benefit we will first discuss what keywords are and what is their research all about.
Keywords and their research
Search engine optimization keywords or just keywords are particular words and phrases which a user uses to get information about any specific topic from the world wide web on a search engine.
There are basically gateways for users which will lead them straight to the search results and different websites that might be relevant to those words they type in the search bar.
In terms of SEO, keyword research is all about searching for the correct keywords, analyzing them properly, and then and using them to create phrases to search for information through search engines.
- Why is it important? Keyword research is important because it is a prominent part of Search engine optimization and helps you to reach more and more audiences to connect with your content.
- When to do it? Doing good keyword research is the first step towards proper SEO for any website. It is often needed when you are working your content on a new niche, when you are looking for different ideas to create content it and when you wish to optimize the existing content on your website.
Steps to implement a keyword research
Even do keyword research can seem like a simple process but it can easily be categorized into three stages. The stages will help you to find proper keywords for your content. This in turn will help you to improvise your website.
Following are the three steps which will help you to achieve good keyword research:
The first step always begins with finalizing the niche within which the content of your website will roam around. Once you have decided on the niche you are going to work around, then it is time to find correct appropriate keywords for that content.
There are many ways to find search keywords and the most popular ones remain 'keyword finding tools'. Keyword finding tools are different online tools where you can search for the most popular keywords revolving around a particular topic. There are many keyword tools available in the market and some of these are as follows:
- Google search console
- Moz Keyword Explorer
- Google keyword planner
Why use Keyword research tools:
Meaning of you wonder That why I should invest in using keyword research tools. Well there are many advantages of using a professional keyword search tool such as:
- Save time: Instead of wasting numerous hours searching for keywords manually, you can subscribe to a Keyword research tool and it will save you a lot of time and effort as well. This is because with the use of Keyword research tools you will be shown hundreds of relevant keywords with just a single click.
- Unique data: Most of the keyword research tools are capable of showing you unique phrases or words. This will help you to create unique content as well and will help you to gain better ranking when it comes to organic searches.
- Competition advantage: Let's face it most of the bloggers and website owners out there are not using keyword research tools before it gives you an advantage if you use one. You will be aware of those keywords which they won't be using that will directly give you a competitive advantage over other people working in the same niches.
Keyword search approach
To search for the right keywords there are mainly two approaches and you can choose any one of them for your research:
- Seed keyword search: This approach roams around the relevance of your topic and generally roams around the main keyword which is called a seed keyword. This goes on on the basis of metrics based on SEO. This approach will also allow you to search for the exact volume and SERP (Search engine result page).
- Search as per competition: The second approach is the best feature offered by paid keyword search tools. This approach helps you to check the keywords your competitors are using. You can use directly to your advantage by using entirely different keywords to attract audiences that are not reached via potential competitors.
the next stage is to analyze all the keywords which you have selected to be used in your content. There are different aspects which will let you understand if you are keyword research has been done properly. These three aspects are:
1. Popularity: The popularity of the keywords plays a great role here. this will help you to understand how popularly the keywords you chose are being used by audiences across the web. In terms of popularity, the volume shown by keyword research tools is based on the database collected by Google which allows you to see the usage of the keywords within the last 12 months. This will also express to you that if the usage of that keyword has increased or decreased in the past year which will help you decide if you can choose this keyword as a long-term interest in your content. A great tool to check the popularity of a particular keyword is Google trends. Google trends will show you a graphical representation of particular keywords used by the users.
2. The difficulty level of a keyword: Another important aspect to analyze while finalizing your keyword is to check its difficulty level. You must remember the higher will be the difficulty level of your chosen keywords the lesser it will be receiving the audience. Different keyword research tools have the features where they will show you the difficulty level of your keyword and they will also show you the alternatives to that keyword. It is useful to choose less complicated keywords to reach all kinds of audiences.
3. Choosing relevant keywords: The last and one of the most important parts of the search engine result page (SERP) analysis is checking the relevance of keywords. This area will briefly cover four categories to check the relevance of the keywords:
- When the user is navigating to a particular website or brand, relevant keywords should be used.
- Another check relevance is through checking if the content provided to the user is related to general information about something.
- Different keywords are used in case the content is related to transactions in online stores.
- The keyboard should be relevantly used when the content provided in the blog is commercial. Commercial content is generally about a particular product or service offered.
Once you are done with finalizing your keywords after the proper analytical procedure, then it's time to use them properly for your content. There are several categories of keywords that will help you to organize them in a better manner. Moreover, sorting them out as per the content it will also help the users to make more specific research and for Google to redirect the user to the relevant portion of the content.
There different categories of keywords which differentiate them from each other:
Focus keyword: The focus keyword is like the headline of an essay for your content. The focus keyword is the most important phrase or word in your content which defines it properly. There are several areas in a content where you can use this focus keyword in a proper manner without overusing or under using it.
- The focus keyword of the content can easily be used in the main title of the content.
- It is highly suggested to use your focus keyword in the meta description of the content.
- Make sure you also use it in the beginning paragraph of the content to give it a good start.
- If your content has many subheadings then include the focus keyword in at least one of the subheads.
- Try to use the focus keyword naturally e in the main body of the content but avoid overusing it.
LSI Keywords: LSI keyword is an abbreviation for the latent semantic indexing keyword. This term means using words and phrases as a part of the processing method in a more natural way. These are mainly related to semantically and are used by different search engines to identify the content. The most important factor when it comes to using LSI keywords tips to use them naturally into the text without doing keyword stuffing. Artificial use of such kind of keywords is highly discouraged and affects the readability of the content.
Usage of long content: This point is not related directly to the keywords but to your content. One should prefer content with more number of words (at least 1500 words) as it has many advantages such as:
- When it comes to using long text, it is easier to fit in different keywords naturally.
- Content having as many as words as possible helps to engage the readers for more time.
- Using long text is bound to attract various links.
- It helps in increasing the credibility of the website by showcasing detailed content.
If used properly keywords can do wonders for your blogging career. The most important thing in choosing the correct keyword remains the research. Therefore, if research properly your keywords will come to proper use.